#### MINUTES

#### Active & Safe Routes to School Steering Committee

Date: Monday, January 24, 2022 1:00-3:00 pm

Zoom Meeting

**FACILITATOR:** Andrew Clark (HEAL)

**RECORDER:** Melissa Thomas

**ATTENDEES:** Andrew Clark, Kristy Kastelic, Sean Wraight, Kalyn Ante, Gress Graham, Sylvia Hazenberg, Allison Miller, Tanya Charyk-Stewart, Emma Fabri, Melissa Thomas

#### **REGRETS**:

#	Notes	Action to be Taken
1	Welcome & Introductions	-
2	Review Minutes from Nov 2021 Meeting	
	Recap:	-
	- Evaluation Working Group	
	Andrew: The Evaluation Working Group will become a	
	spring/summer task.	
	Andrew: Terry is onboard if school boards allow volunteers in	
	schools, we may be able to do something in the Catholic Board	
	in the spring.	
3	Review Agenda	-
4	Discussion: Wayfinding Signs Timeline Reframing (Kristy)	Sylvia and Graham
	Previous Timeline:	will send information out to schools on <u>February</u> 2 <sup>nd</sup> .
	- January 10 <sup>th</sup> : Distribution of information. Decision was	
	made to hold off on the distribution due to the closure of	
	schools.	Andrew will send a
	- January 31 <sup>st</sup> : Application deadline.	Doodle Poll to the working group for decision on the ideal
	- <b>February 14</b> <sup>th</sup> : Deadline to make decisions around	
	- repludiy 14°. Deduline to make decisions around	
	successful applications ( <u>two weeks</u> after the application	meeting date.

- March 30th: Finalize sign locations by the end of March.
- April: Sign installations.

## Updates:

**Kalyn**: I reached out to say we were hoping for an April installation, but I did not want to get too specific. I also wanted to reach out, as we spent a lot of time and consideration trying to maximize the number of schools, we would be able to select. I heard back that there had been an increase in material costs, so I tried to nail that down so it would be helpful in our decisionmaking.

I asked last time about the number of signs that would be considered in a set. Does <u>12</u> seem like a good number in total?

**Andrew**: I believe <u>12-15</u> was the range depending on the school neighborhood.

**Kalyn**: They anticipate that it will be approximately \$2,000-\$2,200 for <u>12</u> signs. So, if it requires 15 then we may see a bit of an increase, but it is not doubling. We may want to consider this as we get the number of applications in. An April installation would work. At least a week or two will be

needed to manufacture the signs. So, if we have a really specific timeline then we will need to work that into our decision making.

Kristy: This keeps us on track for our April goal.

Areas to re-address:

- When are we going to send the applications out to the school?

 - How long of a time they will have to complete the
applications?
- How long will it take to turn our decision around?
<b>Kristy</b> : For schools, Sylvia and Graham what are your thoughts
on good timing?
Sylvia: I ran this by my supervisor in the second week of
January, and the earliest I can send the information out would
be next week once schools are in.
I would need to have the information in by Monday and then it
would get sent to schools on <u>February 2<sup>nd</sup> (Wednesday</u> ).
Graham: If I had the information by Eridey, I can actanticily
<b>Graham</b> : If I had the information by <u>Friday</u> , I can potentially
have that out for <u>February 2<sup>nd</sup> (Wednesday) as</u> well.
Sylvia: If I had it by Friday, then I can get it ready and
submitted on <u>Monday (January 31<sup>st</sup>)</u> morning.
Andrew: All the information is available. We have technically
launched the website even though it hasn't been advertised yet.
The PDF of the application form and the online form of the
application is here as well. The newsletter insert, which we
would want distributed to the schools, and the general
information is all there for schools to use as of now.
I think we should try to make decisions by <u>February 25<sup>th</sup> so we</u>
have enough time to do planning in the schools which will take
some time in the month of March for an April launch.
Andrew: That being said, I think along with that, we can move
this back a week so it's due <u>February 14<sup>th</sup></u> . We can do social

media advertising directed to schools and communities and follow-up with distribution to the schools next week.

**Kristy**: If sent out on <u>February 2<sup>nd</sup></u> through the school boards to schools, it gives them just over a week to complete the application. Our original timeline accounted for just over two weeks, but if we want to meet the April timeline, we are going to have to cut some days in the process.

**Andrew**: If schools are willing to fund their own signs, then we can accept applications up till the beginning of March. We cannot fund persons once we have made decisions and distributed the money.

If we need to add another week, we can always do that and then plan our meeting accordingly. We can pencil in a meeting in for the <u>24<sup>th</sup> of February</u> so we can make our decision by the end of the month.

**Kalyn**: The information says "attention Thames Valley and London Catholic District school board schools". Do we need to specify that this will be London schools?

**Andrew**: No, because London and Middlesex are the only ones that are really allowed to do it. There's also Woodstock as well but a lot of the townships and St. Thomas said no. We do have internal funds that we can use if we have schools outside of London.

We cannot advertise a program and then limit it to London, so we have to use our alternative funds to make sure that others have access to the program as well. **Kalyn:** Are the schools in St. Thomas aware that their community would not allow them to do it?

I don't want anyone to put the effort in to submit an application and then find out, that it is not us saying "no".

**Andrew**: This gives us an opportunity if there are schools in St. Thomas that apply, we can reach out to St. Thomas and mention that this has come up again.

The last time we did this was four years ago, so I believe there is a different council now, which provides an opportunity to start this conversation again. The only one that we will not go back to is Aylmer.

**Kristy**: Distribution will take place on <u>February 2<sup>nd,</sup></u> but we have to get the link and information to Sylvia and Graham by Friday. The application deadline will now be <u>February 14<sup>th</sup></u>.

Andrew: Does it make sense for the funding deadline to be <u>February 28<sup>th</sup></u>?

Kristy: Yes, this gives the working group two weeks to decide.

**Andrew**: I will send out a Doodle Poll to the working group for the following week so we can meet and make the decisions quickly.

**Allison**: I don't think I am on that committee, but I am happy to help.

Why not give the schools a full two weeks to apply as opposed to a week and a bit, and then shorten the time frame of when the committee gets together and decides? I think we should give the schools as much time as possible.

**Andrew**: So, we will make them be due on the February, 21<sup>st</sup> and I'll have the applications out on the Monday and we will then try to meet the Friday or the following Monday.

**Kalyn**: The 21<sup>st</sup> is Family Day, so the 18<sup>th</sup> might be better:

**Andrew**: I will make sure the applications are sent out and I will send the Doodle Poll out for anyone who is interested.

Sean: I will join the committee; I am available as well.

**Andrew**: We will send out the information on the 22<sup>nd</sup> for review. The HEAL will also do an equity report on each of the schools that applied to see where they sit within the framework of equity. We will then plan to meet on either the 26<sup>th</sup> or 28<sup>th</sup>.

## Updated Timeline

- **February 2<sup>nd</sup>**: Distribution of information
- February 21<sup>st</sup>: Application deadline
- February 22<sup>nd</sup>: Application information will be sent out for review.
- February 26<sup>th</sup> or 28<sup>th</sup>: Working group will meet to make final decisions.
- March 30th: Finalize sign locations by the end of March
- April: Sign installations

**Andrew**: Kalyn, is the city still willing to do the installation on inkind? **Kalyn:** I assumed that would include the installation, let me go back and check the email, to see if it was laid out.

**Andrew**: I believe last time we paid for the materials, and they did the installations in-kind. The only additional costs would also be if we needed new posts, but we are trying to utilize existing posts as much as possible.

Kristy as applications start coming in, we can start running network analyses to figure out where kids are coming from so we make sure we are hitting high traffic areas, so we are posting signs but they are not relevant.

**Kristy**: We will make sure of this when we review each application, so we can really look at it holistically.

**Kalyn**: The response I received says, "We reviewed the request and materials, painting, applying, laminating, trimming, plus installation and materials, posts and hardware, 12 signs manufactured and installed would estimate at \$2,000-\$2,200."

That's a ballpark as we can utilize some of the posts existing, but until we know which schools it will be impossible to get an exact quote.

**Andrew:** Okay thank you. We are in the process of putting together an evaluation framework for this. Knowing we can't get permission to go through schools, at least TVDSB, our plans are three-fold:

#### Part 1

- We will be doing traffic counts before and after at the sign locations to see if we are observing a noticeable change in travel behaviour. This will be a three-day traffic count before the signs are installed and two

weeks after, we will do a three-day count see if there are any changes in behaviour.

- We also have speed guns that the HEAL bought. So, we will monitor speed at those locations before and after to see how speed changes.

#### Part 2

- We plan to do intercept surveys to understand the perceptions of the science among those walking to school.
- We plan to do door-to-door canvassing by asking neighbours what impact they have noticed after the sign installations.

**Andrew**: With the Catholic board, we may be able to work with Terry to do something a little more formal on school but outside as well. As long as we are not on school property, we should not have any issues with ethics there. We will also have Western ethics.

**Sean**: Andrew, can you elaborate on the use of speed guns in order to do an evaluation of the speed signs.

**Andrew**: One of the benefits identified by the region of Waterloo was that they allow drivers to know that they are in a school zone, when they were unaware of this previously. They found that the perceptions were that cars were driving slower.

**Sean**: So, the observation is made by the drivers realizing that they were in pedestrian or safety zone, so they will act accordingly to reduce speed?

Andrew: Yes, that is it.

	ASRTS Test-Retest Study
6	Roundtable Updates
	workshop is considered to be research study.
	points are not included as a part of the formal minutes as the
	safety knowledge questionnaire can be improved. Discussion
	asked to help the HEAL lab members determine how our road
	a 60-minute focus group where committee members were
	should have about road safety. This was accomplished through
	their perceptions of the knowledge children in grade 4 to 8
	members were asked to participate in an interview by providing
	validating their Road Safety Knowledge Survey. Committee
	facilitated by Andrew and HEAL members as a means of
	The Road Safety Knowledge Questionnaire Workshop was
5	Road Safety Knowledge Questionnaire Workshop (Andrew -   + HEAL) -
	Andrew: We will think about how that can work.
	a quick behavior change which can lead to a hazard.
	Sean: My only concern would be if drivers will see them and do
	appearing.
	disguise them a lot better, so they are not immediately
	perspective. They are unofficial sports speed guns but we can
	police outfits, so hopefully they won't see it from that
	Andrew: We will be testing before and after so the impact of the gun itself should not be correlated. We will not be wearing
	but I understand where you are coming from.
	concerned if they see someone pointing speed guns at them,
	will be the best course of action but either way people will be
	a point where we can bring in enforcement. I am not sure if this

**Andrew**: We are doing a Test-Retest Evaluation of our Parent and Youth surveys. We have almost 100 participants (parents and kids individually). We have done 70 within a week already. This will give us a good idea of how easily the surveys can be repeated within a week of each other.

#### **ASRTS Validation Papers**

**Andrew**: Melissa is working on evaluating the face and construct validity testing we did last year for the Parent survey. Erika is also doing this for the Youth survey.

## STP Survey Evaluation Working Group (Andrew)

**Andrew**: The only positive element of not being able to do much in schools this year is that we have been able to do a ton of pilot work with our evaluation. This will be the best school travel survey we possibly could develop.

Once that is done, I am hoping we can meet as a group to create the Evaluation Working Group. I will give an update on this by the next meeting where I should have a good idea of where we are at with all the pilot projects. From this, we can look at the survey as it exists and decide which components need to be in our ASRTS survey moving forward so we can add it to the manual.

#### Old North School (formerly Ryerson school)

Allison: As a reminder, the school community approached the City with an interest in addressing the drop-off and pick-up times, and also the vehicular traffic. These discussions are ongoing with the school. The City is interested in piloting and testing the "School Streets Concept"—closing adjacent streets to vehicles during morning and afternoon peak times. Capacity is an issue, so we are relying on the school community to bear the brunt of the work, understanding that capacity may be an issue for them as well. Testing this, ties into the declared climate emergency and sort of the next steps in addressing our climate. I will keep the committee in the loop as there might be more opportunities for involvement.

**Andrew**: Emma is hoping to do her thesis chapter on this project. Jason and I will be meeting with her to talk about the concept of how the evaluation may work with an idea of trying to get an ethics application in by mid-February. Once we meet with Jason, we will arrange to meet with you and Dan.

## **Community Partnership Program**

**Sean**: The program will be delayed this year since there will potentially be a provincial election. It will hopefully continue after the election is held (likely to be in June of this year).

I have additional Safe Winter Driving resources if anyone is interested.

#### **Ride to Thrive Bike Training**

**Sylvia**: They are hoping to do a pilot with us in the spring. However, a hold has been put on this due to schools going back into virtual environment, thus any board level programming has been postponed. We will continue discussions at March break.

# CAA Safety Patrol Program

Sylvia: We also in a holding pattern for this as well.

7	Other Business	-
8	<b>Closing Remarks</b> <b>Andrew</b> : Our next meeting is scheduled for the week after March break.	-

I will also be in touch about the Wayfinding signs by the end of	
the week.	

## Meeting Schedule:

- March 28: 1 4
- May 23: 1 4
- June 20: 1 4

CONFIRMED: \_\_\_\_\_ CHAIR