Schools Making a Difference
School Travel Plans are about small projects creating big changes!
To see a list of all local schools who have or are participating in STP, see For Participating Schools
Mitchell Hepburn Public School 95 Raven Avenue, St Thomas, ON N5R 5L1
6% increase in active transportation
10% decrease in vehicle use
- Bike Racks
- Crossing guard at busy street
- New stop sign
- Cycling education
"This project is a great way to address the health and environmental reasons for walking to school. Ultimately, more and more parents will let their children do what they want – walk to school."
- Allison Miller, City of London TDM Co-ordinator
Cleardale Public School 780 Dulaney Dr, London, ON N6C 3W4
Walking School Bus program started in 2013 and now has 40-50 students participating every Thursday!
White Oaks Public School (London – Thames Valley District School Board)
- Increased student and community participation in following events such as Terry Fox run, IWalk Day, etc.
- Improved safety
- New sports equipment
- STP now part of the School Council agenda rather than separate STP School Committee
- Principal, Public Health Nurse and parents continue to have active role
- The school was pleased with the results and process of the STP and looks to continue increasing safety and walking /cycling opportunities
Success in other communities:
School Travel Planning in Action in Ontario: Successes and Lessons in Active and Sustainable School Transportation (February 2013) Full Report
Read more inspiring success stories from across Canada.