School Travel Planning Manual
Green Communities Canada is the innovator of School Travel Planning. The process and resources found within this School Travel Planning Manual have been adapted from the national School Travel Planning Toolkit to be specific to the Elgin, Middlesex and Oxford communities.
A printed copy of the School Travel Planning (STP) Manual is available for any school within the municipalities of Elgin, London, Middlesex, Oxford or St. Thomas, that is undertaking a School Travel Plan.
Please Contact Us if you are interested in starting a STP and are in need of your own copy of the STP Manual.
Please download and use any of the resources below to assist with your school’s STP.
STP Committee Terms of Reference. Can be used to guide STP committees in their purpose, objectives and governance. Feel free to adapt to work for your individual school.
1. STP Survey Task List (Note: Contact Co-Chairs for altered process for online surveys)
2. Western (HEAL) Data Collection Protocol & Timelines (Note: Contact HEAL for altered process for online surveys)
1. Youth Survey / To access the youth survey, please contact us
2. Family Survey JK - Grade 3 / To access the family surveys, please contact us
3. Family Survey Grades 4-8 / To access the family surveys, please contact us
3b. Hands Up Survey/ To access the hands-up survey, visit here. If your school is not listed or you would like a copy of your school's data, please contact us
4. Copying & Coding Worksheet (NOTE: For paper version only)
5. Copying & Coding Process (NOTE: For paper version only)
Online Video for handing out Invitation Letter for Online Family Surveys & Consent Forms to Grades 4-8 Classrooms
Presentation Script for handing out Family Surveys & Consent Forms to Grades 4-8 Classrooms
Teacher Newsletter that can also go with Grades JK-3 Surveys as instructions for teachers to handout to their students
Transportation Instructions for Family Surveys & Consent Forms that are collected at schools outside of London
1. Traffic Counts & Observations – Introduction
2. Traffic Counts & Observations Tally Sheet Example
3. Traffic Counts & Observations Tally Sheet
4. Traffic Counts & Observations Map Example
5. Traffic Counts & Observations Summary
6. Busing Tally Sheet
The process for Evaluations is under development. Please contact your STP facilitator or Contact Us if you are at the Evaluation phase of your STP or require further direction regarding Evaluation.
1. Family Survey Follow Up JK - Grade 3 / To access the family surveys, please contact us
2. Family Survey Follow Up Grades 4-8 / To access the family surveys, please contact us
3. Youth Survey baseline & Follow Up - see 3.1 above
4. Traffic Counts & Observations - see section 4
5. Walkabout - see section 5